7/07/2015

Open and Out for McIlroy


Rory McIlroy has ruptured a ligament in his ankle while playing football with friends at the weekend.

The World Number One golfer from Holywood took to social media to share a picture of himself in crutches with his foot in a cast boot.

He said:" Total rupture of left ATFL (ankle ligament) and associated joint capsule damage in a soccer kickabout with friends on Saturday. Continuing to asses extent of injury and treatment plan day by day. Rehab already started.

"Working hard to get back as soon as I can."

McIlroy has not ruled himself out of next week's Open Championship at St Andrews, a spokesman for the golfer said.

The Northern Ireland golfer is due to take part next week in the the 144th Open where he is set to defend his title.

Rory McIlroy was at his brilliant best when The Open returned to Royal Liverpool in 2014.

The Co Down man led from start to finish, becoming only the third player in the history of the sport to win three Major Championships by the age of 25 after Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods.

Former Ryder Cup captain Sam Torrance was taken by surprise by the news as he arrived at Wimbledon to watch the day's action there.

"That's the first I've heard of it but I'm in complete shock: that's a big blow to (the Open) if he misses it," Torrance told Press Association Sport.

"That's obviously bad news and I'd just wish him all the best and hope he can make a quick recovery."

Paul McGinley, McIlroy's captain at last year's Ryder Cup, heard the news as he visited Wimbledon on Monday and expressed his disappointment at the prospect of McIlroy not featuring at the 'home of golf'.

McGinley said: "I'm sure he'll be very disappointed. I'd like to find out a little bit more because sometimes these injuries can settle down very quickly. But it'll be a blow not just for Rory but a blow for the game as a whole.

"He's performed very well in the two majors so far this year. I know Jordan has taken all the plaudits in terms of winning but two top-10 finishes for Rory in the majors is a pretty good effort.

"I know St Andrews is a golf course he really loves and a golf course that really suits his game. It's a shame, a shame for the tournament and a shame for Rory if that's the case."

Recovery from injuries such as the one reported by McIlroy can take weeks or, in the worst cases, months and even require surgery. McIlroy has as yet given no details on the anticipated timescale for his recovery.

Should he be sidelined and be out of action for more than a month, he could be unable to defend his title at the US PGA Championship at Whistling Straits, which begins on August 13.

McIlroy has been only on the fringes of challenging at this year's majors, both won by Jordan Spieth. At the Masters in April he finished four strokes back while he finished tied ninth, five shots off the pace, at last month's US Open at Chambers Bay despite a final-round 66.

Much has been made of a potential rivalry with 21-year-old Spieth, who has risen to number two in the rankings, but the injury could prevent any head-to-head meetings in the remaining two majors of the summer.


7/03/2015

McDowell Misses French Cut


Graeme McDowell admits he has work to do on his game after missing the cut at Le Golf National.

The Northern Irishman's bid for a third successive title in France came to a frustratingly early end, as the former US Open champion's poor form continued.

McDowell was one of the early starters on Friday after thunderstorms had left 42 players unable to complete their opening rounds on day one, making par at the 18th to close and opening 72 and lie within four of the lead. 

However, after a short break McDowell was back out on the course which will stage the 2018 Ryder Cup and slumped to a second round of 78, his worst score in 32 rounds at the venue.

The 35-year-old failed to register a single birdie during his second round, posting three bogeys and two double-bogeys, including at the second after sending his shot in to the hazard, to end the week eight over.

"I struggled to get in the fairway mainly and, as firm and as fast as this course is, if you're not hitting the fairway you have a bit of a problem getting close to the flag," McDowell said. "It's just a bad first nine both days.

"I rescued it coming in last night but it was a fast turnaround from a 9pm finish last night to an early start this morning and I just didn't come out of the blocks this morning at all.

"It's very disappointing, this course has been so good to me over the years, just not to be this year. It's a work in progress, I'll keep grinding and it's a big summer ahead."

It leaves McDowell without a top-ten finish since February's Dubai Desert Classic, with the Ryder Cup star in danger of dropping out of the world's top 50 unless he can produces an upturn in results. 

"I have a lot of technique in my head to be honest and I have to strip that out," McDowell told Sky Sports 4. "I've got to get back to basics and try to clear the mind.

"I've been working too hard on trying to get the technique fixed and been making it worse. I know it's in there; you take the rough with the smooth and it's been a great three or four years. I will dig this out and I'll be back."


7/02/2015

Leona Maguire Makes Strong Start


Leona Maguire that she was talking of the chances that slipped by after opening with a three-under 69 in the first round of the ISPS HANDA Ladies European Masters.

Playing on a sponsor’s invite, the 20-year-old from Cavan hit 16 greens in her opening round at The Buckinghamshire Golf Club near London, carding four birdies and a single bogey for a place in the clubhouse top 10.

The Duke University golfer made the brightest of starts with a birdie at the par-five 10th before successive birdies on the 13th and 14th holes got her to three under early in her round.
Four straight pars saw her to the turn in 33 strokes and the consistency in her play saw her continue her back nine with another five pars from the first.

She got to four under with a birdie three at the par-four sixth before giving up her only shot to par of the round with a bogey five at the eighth to finish on three under, three shots behind France’s Sophie Giquel-Bettan, who carded a 66.

“I’m really happy because I got off to a great start and made a few birdies in the first few holes, so I was three under though nine,” said Maguire.

“I had quite a few chances on the back nine but a few putts didn’t drop. I hit 16 greens, so it was pretty steady. I birdied a couple of the par fives and hit all the ones on the back nine, starting on the 10th.”

Maguire’s only bogey came on her penultimate hole, which at 425 yards was the longest of the par-fours.

“I made a bogey on eight after hitting a good drive but my second was left of the green in the hay so I had to hack at it to get on the green and then had two putts from there so it was a good bogey really, because the pin was long and the hole was playing tricky,” added Maguire.

“I’d have taken a three under going out this morning and it’s a good score. I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”


7/01/2015

McDowell Seeks French Treble


Graeme McDowell will begin his quest for a hat-trick of Alstom Open de France titles alongside Ryder Cup team-mate Lee Westwood and rising French star Alexander Levy when the €3million tournament begins on Thursday.

The Northern Irishman, the champion at Le Golf National for the past two years, tees off from the tenth at 13.20 local time, one group behind the widely-tipped Francesco Molinari, two-time winner this season Anirban Lahiri and young Frenchman Gary Stal.

The marquee group in the morning has a Ryder Cup flavour, with Martin Kaymer, who won here in 2009, alongside his 2014 team-mates Victor Dubuisson and Jamie Donaldson at 8.30 from the tenth.

One group ahead of them is Englishman Danny Willett, currently second in The Race to Dubai, Austrian Bernd Wiesberger and France’s Julien Quesne, while the last player to win the event before McDowell, Germany’s Marcel Siem, has Italian Matteo Manassero and Sweden’s Kristoffer Broberg for company at 13.50 from the tenth tee.

European Ryder Cup Captain Darren Clarke begins his campaign with Denmark’s Thorbjørn Olesen and up-and-coming Englishman Eddie Pepperell at 7.50 from the tenth, while behind them is another home favourite in Grégory Havret alongside Scots Stephen Gallacher and Marc Warren.

A total of 29 French players will be attempting to become the first home player since Thomas Levet in 2011 to win the Alstom Open de France, including Raphaël Jacquelin, who begins from the tenth in the company of in-form Englishmen James Morrison and Chris Wood.


6/30/2015

Lowry Graced with PGA Card

Getty Images
Shane Lowry and Branden Grace have accepted special temporary membership of the PGA Tour for the remainder of the 2015 season.

The European Tour regulars, along with Australian youngster Cameron Smith, secured the privilege courtesy of their high finishes in the US Open at Chambers Bay.

Irishman Lowry finished in a tie for ninth, five places behind South African Grace, who went into the final day in a tie for the lead but finished the tournament fourth after closing with a one-over 71.

They have all earned more non-member FedEx Cup points than the total of the player who finished 150th on the list in 2014.

England's Danny Willett and up and coming United States player Patrick Rodgers also secured invites in similar fashion earlier in the season.

They are now eligible for unlimited sponsor exemptions for the remainder of the Tour season as they attempt to earn 2015-16 cards through the non-member money list or non-member FedExCup points list.

Special temporary members are not eligible for the FedExCup play-offs, but they can become regular PGA Tour members by winning an official event during the season and would then have their FedExCup points counted and be eligible for post-season play.