6/04/2011

McIlroy Remains in Contention

Rory McIlroy

Rory McIlroy remained in contention at the Memorial Tournament at Muirfield Village in Dublin, Ohio, with a second round 72  score left with a midway total of 138, six-under, in a four-way share of second place. 

Without a win since the Quail Hollow championship some 13 months ago, McIlroy’s 72 left him alongside Americans Ricky Barnes (70), Jonathan Byrd (67) and Australian Rod Pampling (67) on 138, three shots behind leader Steve Stricker, who shot a 67.

Although lacking the all-round flair of his opening round, the 22-year-old Ulsterman – critical of his approach play – was upbeat about his prospects heading into the weekend.

“It would mean a lot (to win). This is one of my favourite weeks of the year, on one of my favourite golf courses. To win here, with the list of champions that there’s been on this golf course, including (host) Jack (Nicklaus) himself, I’d love to put my name on that list,” said McIlroy.

Unfortunately for him, despite claiming six birdies, he simply made too many mistakes yesterday, including two bogeys on the front nine, where he had short irons in his hand hitting approach shots from the middle of the fairway.

“You can’t do that sort of stuff. But, you know, I was happy with how I handled stuff. I did make mistakes, but it seemed every time I made a bogey I came back with a birdie to rectify it. I just need to limit the mistakes going into the weekend,” he added.

After picking up three bogeys in his opening six holes, McIlroy responded well to be two-under on his round playing the Par 4 14th where he ran up a double-bogey six to a treacherous pin position.

“Some of the pin positions out there today were pretty tricky. It’s sort of reflecting why the scoring isn’t as low as sometimes it usually is here. . . I’m frustrated with some of the mistakes I made, but I’m happy enough.

“You know, I’m thereabouts going into the weekend. There’s still a lot of golf left to play. I know that and everyone else knows that. I just need to just limit those mistakes.”


No comments:

Post a Comment