4/27/2012

McGinley in Early Ballantines Mix


Paul McGinley battled the cold and gusting winds that greeted yesterday's early starters at the Ballantines Championship in Korea where self-belief was essential firing through swirling breezes and marked elevations to tiny target areas on Blackstone's rolling greens.


McGinley (45) signed for a one-under-par 71, which left him three off the lead in a tie for seventh with, among others, pre-tournament favourite Adam Scott.


Though tired after a day's toil on undulating hillside terrain, McGinley revealed that he had "absolutely no problem" with the chronic knee injuries that have hampered him so badly in recent years.

"I shortened my schedule a little at the start of this season and I've definitely reaped the benefit. I'm really with my knee," he said. "The biggest challenge now is not physical, it's mental -- trusting it and getting onto my left side (in the swing)."

McGinley is even looking forward with optimism to the summer.

"I've only played four events this year. From Wentworth on, I'll play a full schedule, the tournaments I normally play. Hopefully, I'll be nice and fresh this year," added McGinley, who had three birdies and just two bogeys on a day in which potential disaster lurked around every dog-leg.

Scott had to recover from a double-bogey six at dawn after hitting a stiff-limbed approach into the greenside hazard at 10, and Victor Dubuisson (22) needed to sink 18-foot putts for bogey at one and par at two before going on to post the stunning 68 which gave him the first-round lead.

Gareth Maybin played the front nine brilliantly in three-under, but stumbled on the way home to a level-par 72 which still edged him into the top 20.

Damien McGrane opened with a 73, Shane Lowry shot 74 and Darren Clarke returned from his honeymoon with a ring-rusty 77.


No comments:

Post a Comment