5/23/2012

McIlroy Happy Being the Best


World number one Rory McIlroy is happy to be described - and to describe himself - as the best golfer in the world.

The top ranking has ricocheted betwen McIlroy, Luke Donald and Lee Westwood in recent months, but the Northern Irishman is determined to keep the English duo - and the rest of the chasing pack - at bay.

Not that the 23-year-old US Open champion uses the rankings as the only measure of his standing in the game.

Asked at Wentworth ahead of this week's BMW Championship if he considers himself better than everyone else now, McIlroy replied: "Yeah, I think that you have to believe that you're better than anyone else.

"On my day I believe I can beat anyone in the world. It's just a matter of going out there and showing everyone else what I believe.

"It's hard to walk around saying 'I'm the best' or whatever, but you just have to believe in it and be quietly confident."

Donald was not quite as forceful in his answer to the same question.

"I don't really think in terms like that," he said. "I think my focus is to try and always continue to improve and be a better golfer.

"In terms of who is the best, that's a very hard thing to discuss. Certainly I've been one of the most consistent players over the last couple of years.

"I've won quite a few events and I'm very proud of what I've done the last couple of years."

But McIlroy is enjoying the to-and-fro battle for the top ranking.

"I think this whole battle for No.1 has created a buzz amongst fans of golf, in the UK, Europe and also around the rest of the world.

"It's just nice to be a part of it and it's nice to be on top at the moment, but you can't be number one forever. I'm sure at some point or another I'm going to lose it, I just hope it's not this week.

"It's being going back and forward, but it would be nice to play consistently over the next few weeks and create a bit of a gap between me and the rest."

Meanwhile, McIlroy is confident of challenging for his first title at the European Tour's flagship event.

"I feel like I've definitely come back this year (to this tournament) with more confidence," he told Sky Sports.

"I'm a major champion and world No.1, so I definitely feel Iike I'm a better player than I was 12 months ago.

"Hopefully (I can) give it a good run this week, setting myself up for a great few weeks leading up to the US Open."

The West Course has been tweaked again following criticisms last year of Ernie Els' layout changes and McIlroy added: "I like the changes they've made this year.

"I wasn't a huge fan of the changes they made a couple of years ago - but the few tweaks that they've made this year have been great.

"Turning 12 back into a par five has been a great move. I think levelling out the right side of the 15th green, making that greenside bunker a little shallower...that'll be better for us.

"Making the 18th more inviting for second shots, being able to get the ball a little bit further down the fairway there, you're now going to see a lot of guys go for that green in two, you're going to see eagles and exciting finishes."


No comments:

Post a Comment