5/24/2012

McIlroy May Yet Face Tour Sanction


Rory McIlroy struggled on day one of the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth, carding a two-over 74 and could also face punishment after throwing a club.

Scot Drysdale and Ireland's Lawrie shot rounds of 66 to lead by one from a group including England's Justin Rose and Wales' Jamie Donaldson.

Second-ranked Luke Donald shot 68 as world number three Lee Westwood had 70.

McIlroy, who missed the cut at the Players Championship two weeks ago, mixed an eagle and three birdies with a double bogey and five bogeys.
Bjorn clashes with authority

The US Open champion, who began last year's event with a 76 but recovered to finish in a tie for 24th, put his approach at the 12th out of bounds and after hitting a wayward shot with his provisional ball, angrily hurled his club to the ground.

"It was a bit of deja vu from last year," he said. "I was two-under through seven holes and feeling like I was playing well. But then I made four bogeys in five holes so it's pretty disappointing. I feel like I am playing well, I just need to go out there and shoot the score."

Tournament director David Garland issued a statement regarding the McIlroy club throwing incident and said: "I have not yet had the chance to view the incident, but I will be requesting a tape.

"If any breach of the Tour's guidelines on course etiquette is found, then appropriate action will be taken in due course."


No comments:

Post a Comment