5/12/2012

McIlroy Misses Sawgrass Cut


World number one Rory McIlroy suffered more Sawgrass misery as he crashed out of the Players Championship in Florida.

McIlroy missed the halfway cut for the third time in three visits after a second round of 76 left him on four over.

"There's something about this course I can't quite get to grips with," said Mcllroy. "It's disappointing."

Matt Kuchar, Zach Johnson and Kevin Na are at the top of the leaderboard on eight under.

Luke Donald improved on his opening round of 72 with a second round of 69 to move to three under - the same mark as Westwood but five shots behind the joint leaders.

Donald, who started on the 10th hole, eagled the 16th and second, first hitting a five-iron to six feet and then making a 20-footer, but then undid some of his good work before a closing birdie on the ninth.

"It could have been a special round," he said. "I threw in a couple of bad swings, but 69 is not a bad score.

"I am quietly optimistic. I think this course is only going to get tougher and eight or nine under could be a good score come Sunday."

Westwood said: "I didn't play as well as yesterday, but I'm shot one better off - that's golf.

"I'm playing all right. I like this course and it suits me.

"I suppose three under is in touch. Hopefully it will firm up and the greens will get quicker."

First round leaders Martin Laird and Ian Poulter both slipped down the leaderboard.

The Scot was in good form until the final three holes, but then found the water with his second shot to the long 16th and then hit a poor tee shot on the short 17th to find the same lake.

Those errors cost him a bogey six and a double bogey five, and his misery was complete when he left a chip well short on the last and bogeyed again to drop from 10 under to six under - two behind the leaders.

"That's what this course will do to you," he said. "I got a bit greedy with a four iron to the 16th - it was a stupid shot - and was between clubs at the 17th.

"A nine iron was too much and a wedge not enough, but I didn't hit it real solid and the wind got it. It was a bad shot.

"But I'm still well in it. I'd have taken my position before the start."

Poulter is on three under after a 76.

McIlroy's record at Sawgrass
2011: Did not play
2010: Missed cut (+1)
2009: Missed cut (+7)



No comments:

Post a Comment