6/30/2012

Could Padraig Win be Around Portrush Corner

Getty Images
Padraig Harrington believes a tournament win is "just around the corner", even if it doesn't come at this week's Irish Open.

The 40-year-old Dubliner finds himself well in contention at the halfway stage at Royal Portrush, a second successive 67 leaving him just two shots back of Frenchman Gregory Bourdy.

He has already won the tournament before, triumphing back in 2007, the same year he also clinched his first major at the Open at Carnoustie.

But while he has not tasted success since the 2008 US PGA Championship, Harrington is continuing to remain patient in his quest for further glory.
Buses

"As much as I would dearly love to win, it doesn't have to be this week," he said.

"I know they are around the corner and they tend to come like buses. I'll win more in the future - just be patient and let it happen.

"My three majors were distinctly different. I came out of the pack at Carnoustie (Sergio Garcia had been well clear), then at Birkdale I was the favourite I assume going into the last round.

"Maybe that's the position I'm in now and as professional golfers we have to deal with all of these things all of the time.

"We have to apply ourselves and do our own thing. But I will enjoy the crowds - I will make an effort to let myself be helped by the crowd and to be drawn into it."

The Irish Open is being staged north of the border for the first time since 1953 and has been watched by sell-out crowds.
Support

Graeme McDowell - whose own major triumphs have been instrumental in bringing the event back to Northern Ireland - admits the support shown to the players has been exceptional.

"It sounded like an Open Championship coming down 18," he said after his second round. "The crowds are clapping you from 140 yards short of the green.

"They clapped us all day going on to every green, but particularly the last six when the rain went away and the umbrellas came down.

"We all appreciate it. It's nice to play golf events amongst big crowds."


No comments:

Post a Comment