6/28/2012

Foster Credits Tutu Blessing for 66


Mark Foster started the Irish Open with a 66 at Royal Portrush after receiving a blessing from South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

Foster carded seven birdies to a single bogey and lies one shot off the clubhouse lead held by India's Jeev Milkha Singh.

"He (Tutu) was sat behind me on the flight over and I had my photograph taken with him," said the Worksop golfer, chasing only his second European Tour victory in more than 300 starts. "There were some others on the plane who were more excited about Ronan Keating being there, but I told him it was an honour to meet him."

He added: "You don't get a chance to meet someone like that very often and after shaking his hand he gave me God's blessing."

Perhaps just as important were some words from his wife Sophie before he headed for the airport.

"I had a massive negative not qualifying for The Open on Monday (he actually pulled out despite an opening 70 in the 36-hole event) and was really down," he said.

"But she told me I'd played well on Sunday in Germany, it's only Monday, so let's go again Tuesday. I did a good job of forgetting it and I'm really pleased with this.

"The beginning of the year was awful, I've progressively got better, but I've got to keep improving for what I'm after.

"It was just amazing out there. I got a six o'clock car to the course and, I kid you not, there were people queuing to get in - even though the rain was coming sideways.

"I've never seen a buzz in the players' lounge like there is this week. People are raving about the course and the size of the crowds."


No comments:

Post a Comment