6/07/2012

Hoey and Maybin Clear Nordea Cut


Michael Hoey improved on his first round finish to cards a round of 68 at the Nordea Masters to hold a share of 13th place going into the final two days at Brof Hoff Slot in Stockholm - on 6 under par. 

Gareth Maybin is three strokes further back in share of 40th place despite signing for a round of  67 on Thursday.

But Shane Lowry (76), Simon Thornton (74) and Damien McGrane 975) are all homeward bound after their over par rounds left them well adrift of the level par cut.

Lee Westwood once again proved that Sweden is a happy hunting ground for him as he carded a superb 64 to to open a three-shot lead, following up on his opening round of 68.

There were eight birdies - in a bogey-free round - to move to 12-under-par, ahead of a chasing pack of three that contained Scotland's Lloyd Saltman and home favourite Peter Hanson.

The Nordea Masters provided Westwood with his first European Tour victory in 1996 and he also won the event in 2000.

The Worksop golfer, currently ranked third in the world, was delighted to climb to the top of the leaderboard after day two.

"I've always enjoyed coming to Sweden, obviously winning here for the first time in 1996 gave me an affinity," he told the European Tour's website.

"And then I won again in 2000 when I won the money list so I've had a lot of success in Sweden and it's somewhere I enjoy coming to.

"I played nicely yesterday but today I played a little bit better. I'm getting to know the course a little bit better every day and it was there for the taking this morning. There was not a lot of wind and the greens were pretty pure.

"I'm putting the ball well and rolling it nicely on the greens which gives you confidence. I hit it pretty close so I gave myself a lot of chances."

Saltman, ranked 512 in the world, also carded a 64, the highlight of which was an albatross on the par-five 12th that came after he struck a sweet three iron which rolled in from some 237 yards.

"I had a great number," he said. "I started walking then heard a little roar and knew it was in, so that was nice."

Saltman and Hanson were joined in second by Spain's Carlos Del Moral who followed his opening 68 with a 67.

For his part, Hanson had a double bogey at the 11th but recovered in some style with three birdies in his next four holes.

"I didn't strike the ball as well as I would have hoped and 68 was a good result," said 2008 champion Hanson.

Richard Sterne of South Africa, Dutchman Maarten Lafeber, Spain's Ignacio Garrido and unheralded Argetine Emiliano Grillo shared on eight-under.

Meanwhile, a score of 72 meant overnight leader Magnus Carlsson was five shots off the lead along with English duo Richard Bland and Chris Wood at seven-under.

Sergio Garcia threatened briefly, but he found water at the par five 13th and made 69 to finish in an eight-man group at six-under.




No comments:

Post a Comment