7/19/2012

McDowell Maps Open Route 67


Graeme McDowell insisted enjoyment was the key to contending in majors after putting himself in contention at the Open Championship with a three-under 67.

The 2010 US Open champion surged up the first-day leaderboard with three straight birdies completing a front-nine 31 before he added another at the 11th.

A bogey at 15 was balanced by a birdie at the next, but he slipped three shots behind early pace-setter Adam Scott when he dropped another stroke at the last to take some gloss off his day.

"I've played in plenty of these things to learn that you've got to enjoy them, you've got to try to enjoy them," said the 32-year-old. "Let's be honest, if you don't play well, it's hard to enjoy them.

"You've got to get in a relaxed frame of mind, get your attitude correct for the day and accept that you're going to make mistakes.

"I did that well today and I reacted well to my mistakes generally - that's all you can ask for.

"It was a pretty benign start to the week but I'm under no illusion that this golf course has teeth and it could be a sleeping giant for sure.

"I've got a little bit of work to do on my full swing, I wasn't really 100 per cent in control of it today, but we'll be ready for Friday. There's no reason why I shouldn't challenge.

"All in all, I'm happy with three under par. It was a solid round of golf."



No comments:

Post a Comment