7/01/2012

McIroy Plans Portrush Charge


Royal Portrush legend Rory McIlroy last night warned the Irish Open leaders: “I’m coming to get you!”

Northern Ireland star McIlroy lies six shots behind leader Jamie Donaldson, who is top of the pile on 12 under.

But McIlroy – who ­famously battered this track as a 16-year-old to set the course record of 61 – fancies himself to pile pressure on the ­leaders this afternoon.

McIlroy, who was cheered on by tennis star girlfriend Caroline ­Wozniacki after her ­Wimbledon exit, struggled on the greens but believes he can still produce a ­thrilling comeback to claim the title.

He said: “There has been added ­pressure with the tournament being in Northern ­Ireland, but that is fine.

“I’m more frustrated than anything else. It felt like I played pretty well and didn’t really get much out of the round.

“A 71 is still a decent score in these conditions but I felt with the way I hit the ball, it could have been a lot lower.

“I just want to shoot a good score ­tomorrow and see what happens. It would be nice to put on a good finish and look forward to the Open in a couple of weeks.

“I’m going to try to get to at least 14-under tomorrow to have any sort of chance.

“And I think I can do it if I get off to a fast start and put pressure on the boys at the top of the leaderboard.”

Welsh hopeful Donaldson ­produced a memorable hole-in-one earlier in the week and yesterday carded a three-under-par 69 to move to the top of the leaderboard.

“After making bogey at the first, an eagle on the second put me back in the frame,” ­Donaldson said.

“I can’t get ahead of myself. I must just keep hitting fairways and greens. I’ve had a few chances of victory but not been good enough to stand on the 18th green as champion so far.

“I’m not going to worry about the likes of ­Padraig Harrington behind me, I will just play against myself.”

Harrington is the best-placed Irishman, two shots adrift of Donaldson and ready to end a two-year run ­without a Tour victory.

He said: “I would have said that nothing could compare to my first Irish Open win, but to win the first one in Northern Ireland in 40 years would be right up there.

“Having been there and done it before should help, even though it’s two years since my last win!

“I just want to put pressure on the leaders as early as possible and use the home crowd to my advantage.”

With 40,000 spectators expected Sunday, attendances will be in excess of 100,000 for the four days of the ­tournament, setting a new Tour record.


No comments:

Post a Comment