8/08/2012

GMAC Makes Plans for Kiawah Island


Graeme McDowell hopes to continue his outstanding Major Championship form when the US PGA Championship begins at Kiawah Island on Thursday.

The Northern Irishman finished tied for 12th at the Masters Tournament before featuring in the final Sunday pairing at the US Open and Open Championship – coming in tied second at The Olympic Club and fifth at Royal Lytham & St Annes.

“It's been a strong year in the Majors for me,” said the 2010 US Open Champion. “I'm very happy with my performances so far, and I’m excited about the fourth and final Major Championship of the season. 

“It comes around awfully quick, but I feel fortunate that I managed to get 18 holes in here last Tuesday on the way to Firestone. I played 18 holes here on Monday, as well. 

“It's going to be a great test in a beautiful part of the world - I love the golf course.”

While Ryder Cup star McDowell has been unable to get over the line in a Major this season, he believes the fact he has been in contention can only be a plus.

“I do look back very positively on both of my last two Major experiences,” he added.

“There are certain elements of frustration and negativity in there, but I have addressed a couple things that I think I need to do better. 

“I take the positives away in that it was certainly nothing to do with nervousness or pressure that kind of got to me. If anything, I came out a little bit flat in both first nine holes. 

“So there's a few things I've addressed, just really my pre-shot routines and various little things I'm maybe not executing as well in the heat that I do maybe on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, just committing quicker to my shots, getting in there and reacting a bit better.

“It’s nice to be back in those positions and know that I can deal with the pressure and the emotion - I just didn't execute my shots well enough.”

No comments:

Post a Comment