11/07/2012

Sponsor Criticism Deserved - McIlroy

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy said criticism of his decision to skip last week's Champions tournament in China to watch his girlfriend, Caroline Wozniacki, play tennis was deserved.

The world No1 said a break was necessary despite the disappointment of golf fans. McIlroy, who will play at this week's Singapore Open, said: "I think the criticism is fair ... it's a World Golf Championship event, one of the big ones. It was a tough one to miss, especially watching it on television.

"But I can't play every week. If I had played that I would have finished the season having played in Turkey, after the Ryder Cup and the FedEx Cup stuff. It's just too much and one event had to miss out and that was it. I played the course at Mission Hills a couple of years ago and didn't really like it. I thought it was a course where I would get frustrated and am glad the event is going back to Shanghai next year."

McIlroy, 23, who last week decided to cheer on Wozniacki at the Tournament of Champions in Bulgaria, said that since rising to the top he needs to strike the right balance between playing, fulfilling commitments and resting.

"Managing time is a very important part of my life. I thought I did a little bit better this season than I did last year after I won the US Open in 2011. People want more of you, they want you to do more things and you have to learn how to say 'no'.

"You have to be selfish sometimes. First and foremost, you have to look after yourself and fit in the things that you want to do. I am in a fortunate position that I can dictate where I want to play, what I want to do and where I want to go and as long as I am in that position then that's lovely."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment