3/06/2013

Lowry Eyes Puerto Rico Open

Getty Images
Shane Lowry burst onto the scene two weeks ago when he upset world No. 1 Rory McIlroy and Carl Pettersson to advance to the third round of the World Golf Championships-Accenture Match Play Championship.

This week, Lowry tees it up  at the Puerto Rico Open presented by seepuertorico.com. He hopes that there are many more TOUR starts to come.

“I want to play on the PGA TOUR as much as I can,” said Lowry, who plans to stay in the U.S. until May. 

“I spoke to Conor, my manager, maybe six weeks ago and said, I knew this was opposite the Cadillac, so I said to him, ‘Any chance we can get an invite there?’ and we were lucky enough that we did get an invite. Very grateful for that and hopefully I can make the most of it this week.”

He knows that a top-10 finish this week gets him into next week’s Tampa Bay Championship presented by EverBank. As one of nine top-100 ranked players in this week’s field, he will have his chances to do just that.

“Yeah, obviously a top 10 would be great to get into next week,” Lowry said. “I really want to play here as much as I can, so if I can top 10, as I said, just focus on one thing and that's the first round on Thursday, try and shoot a good couple of scores, get me in contention, come Saturday afternoon and Sunday, you never know.”

Lowry, with a little more success, could be a candidate to join the PGA TOUR for the 2013-14 season. 

He’s earned 68 Non-Member FedExCup points thus far, and if his non-member points exceed those of No. 200 on the final FedExCup standings, he’ll earn a spot in this year’s Web.com Tour finals. The average amount of points needed to reach that number since 2009 is 88. He could exceed that mark with a top-30 finish this week.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment