7/14/2013

Route 64 in Scotland for Maybhin

Getty Images

Gareth Maybin take the clubhouse lead on day three of the Aberdeen Asset Management Scottish Open after a round of 64 and advanced to 13 under par for the week with eight birdies, two bogeys and an eagle at the long sixth.

“It was pretty much flawless apart from I guess the two bogeys,” said Maybin, who finished tied for eighth in France last weekend. “I played great golf, flagged it all day and made a bunch of putts.

“I’m over the moon. Very, very solid this morning and absolutely perfect conditions in sunny Scotland, which was nice.”

Maybin joins American Peter Uihlein and Frenchman Raphael Jacquelin.

Henrik Stenson fired a six-under-par 66 to take a two-shot lead into the final round of the Scottish Open at Castle Stuart.

The resurgent Swede dropped his only shot of the day at the ninth before coming home in 32, culminating in a birdie at the 18th, to reach 16-under-par for the event.

Stenson was backing up Friday's sizzling 64 and has now made just one bogey in his last 47 holes.

Phil Mickelson, John Parry and Branden Grace all matched Stenson's 66 to leave themselves two back and they were joined by Denmark's JB Hansen, who handed in a 69.

Mickelson, who is yet to win in Europe, began the day four back and finally got going after seven successive pars in a blemish-free round.

"The last 11 holes were a lot of fun," said the 43-year-old American. "The first seven holes I got off to a bit of a slow start and I was really behind when I needed to make up ground.

"On the eighth I tried to slow it down and be patient, got one putt to drop and that seemed to ignite the rest of the round. I think I will be a couple back but I've got myself in a good position for tomorrow and I am really looking forward to it.

"Any victory over here would be terrific but we are getting ahead of ourselves.

"There's a packed leaderboard so it will take one good round of a shootout between 15 and 20 guys that are right there. Being in position and shooting that good round today feels terrific but I've got to go out tomorrow and duplicate it."

Unheralded Scotsman Chris Doak backed out of contention after leading by one at halfway and after a 73 finds himself five shots off the pace, while Ross Fisher, who began the day one behind Doak, also went the wrong way with a 73 that included no fewer than six bogeys.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment