8/12/2013

Happy McIlroy at Oak Hill

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy was in a positive frame of mind despite failing to climb into contention in the final round of the US PGA Championship.

The defending champion needed to shoot a low score after starting six shots off the pace but after a bright start blew any chance he had by taking seven at the par-four fifth.

A decent approach spun back into the water and then he pitched his fourth shot over the back of the green, but still managed to shoot a level-par 70.

"I actually didn't hit a bad shot, 168 yards to the pin, hit nine iron, pitched it just in the place where you can't pitch it I guess," he said.

"Obviously it was disappointing but I fought back well. I was four-under at that point and had just missed a short putt on the fourth to get to five.

"After doing that I just wanted to post as good a finish as I could.

"I saw a lot of great signs out there today. Hopefully I can just bring that through to the next few weeks and have a strong finish to the season."



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment