9/20/2013

Thornton Shares Italian lead

Getty Images
Simon Thornton has had some indifferent form since claiming his maiden title in St Omer earlier this year, but he believes that experience can be of benefit this weekend. As if to prove a point he proceed to fire  a second round 67 to earn a three way share of the lead at the70° Open d’Italia Lindt.

“My game is still the same and the plan is still the same,” he said. “The main thing that you take from winning out here is the fact you know you can get over the line because you have done it already. 

“I still have to hit the shots and get into contention on Sunday – we have a long day ahead tomorrow but if I can stick to the plan and keep committing then I should be there or thereabouts come Sunday.”

David Higgins has just one top-three finish to his credit in more than 200 European Tour events to head into the weekend in share of fourth place, adding a 69 to his opening 67.

Higgins feels the course suits his game; "I didn't hit it as close as yesterday but if you keep hitting the fairways on this course you can manage it and get a lot of opportunities and I am good at doing that.

"This is a good course for me, if I play well I have a good chance. A lot of the other courses are very long and I am trying to hit it over corners, but this one is about hitting it down the middle all day long and I'm good at that."

Francesco Molinari put himself in a great position to repeat his emotional 2006 victory on home soil as the Italian grabbed a share of the halfway lead alongside Felipe Aguilar and Thornton.

The Turin native, whose halved match with Tiger Woods ensured Europe won the Ryder Cup outright in the 'Miracle at Medinah', carded a second round of 67 at Golf Club Torino to join Chile's Aguilar and Ireland's Thornton on nine under par.

The 30 year old has been the centre of attention all week as he bids to claim his National Open for the second time, but said: "It adds a little bit of pressure but it's good, it gives you an extra motivation to do well and get focused for 18 holes.

"I said at the beginning of the week I didn't want to think of anything but try to enjoy the week, try to make some birdies and I'll try to do the same Saturday and Sunday.

"It doesn't really matter that I won before, this is a special, special week for me. I was emotional yesterday on the tenth tee at 8am with only 50 people watching so now with all these people on my course it's a great feeling.

"It has been brilliant so far so let's hope it continues to stay that way over the weekend. You have to embrace it, have fun; I smile on the course when I see people I know and I know they are rooting for me so I just try to enjoy it."

Ryder Cup team-mate Nicolas Colsaerts had looked set to at least maintain his overnight share of the lead but bogeyed the 16th and 18th - where he duffed a chip - to return a 71 to lie eight under alongside Ireland's David Higgins and England's Steve Webster

"It's always tough to follow a day of prime striking," said Colsaerts, who shot 65 on Thursday. "I missed only one green yesterday and everything was going my way pretty much.

"Then I started with a bogey today with a seven iron in my hand so that doesn't really get you in the greatest of moods."

Aguilar had recorded seven top-ten finishes this season by the first week of June, but although he has been quiet since the former Indonesia Open winner believes he is well placed to shine on a layout that suits his skills.

“It was a fun day,” he said. “I played well and got round a very difficult golf course. I love this golf course because it suits my game which is about accuracy more than distance. 

“My driving stats are pretty good and you have to play the ball from the fairways around here because you are not going to have many birdie chances if you are playing out of the rough all the time.

“I love coming to Italy because they have a very similar culture to what we have back home. I feel very comfortable out here – we have similar courses, good food, good wine and weather so there are a lot of things that make me feel comfortable.” 

Former Ryder Cup Captain José María Olazábal, whose last European Tour win came in the Mallorca Classic eight years ago, is four off the lead on five under after adding a 68 to his opening 71 to lie five under par.

The 47 year old said: "Yesterday was a battling day, I didn't hit the ball well at all and just managed to get my way in with a decent score. Today I hit the ball a little better. I still made a few mistakes but it was a better day."

Damien McGrane signed for a round of 69 on Friday to ensure three Irish players finished inside the cut.

Peter Lawrie (71), Gareth Maybin (69) and Michael Hoey (71) will miss the weekend.



 


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment