11/27/2013

Rory Seeks Last Chance

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy admits he is looking forward to taking a break from golf following the World Challenge in early December, describing 2013 as 'a mentally draining year.'

The world no 6 from Ireland is without a victory in over 12 months and has two more chances to break his duck during the current calendar year.

This week the Ulsterman is taking part in the Australian Open at Royal Sydney Golf Club, followed by a trip to California for the Tiger Woods-hosted event at Thousand Oaks in Los Angeles.

In 2012, McIlroy won four of his last nine events - and five times in all - while this year he has only posted a brace of top-three finishes - in Texas and Korea.

McIlroy also said: "I'm looking forward to a break after playing Tiger's event next week as it's been a long year mentally for me rather than physically.

"Physically, golf doesn't take that much out of you but mentally it is quite draining.

"And especially for me this year not just being frustrated with my game but having to answer all the questions and come up with reasons why I am not playing well and all that stuff.

"But then it's great to be going into the off-season feeling comfortable with my game and knowing that I am on the right track and knowing that I can start the new season strongly.

"So I am excited about that aspect and besides I still have two tournaments left this year and I would love to get a win, whether it is here or in Tiger's event in LA."

Also teeing up this week is world No 2 Adam Scott who is hoping to become only the second golfer in history to capture the Australian Triple Crown.

Scott has already landed the Masters and PGA titles during the past few weeks and is now focussing his attentions on seeking victory in the Open, a feat only previously achieved by Robert Allenby eight years ago.

The 33-year-old Australian is enjoying a momentous year, after being the first Aussie to wear the Green Jacket at Augusta National back in April.

He said: "I caught up with Rob last night at the function and asked for some advice on how to go about it but he didn't offer any up.

"But it's the Australian Open, it's the last week of the year for me, so I want to finish big."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment