8/29/2014

Maybin Second in Italy

Getty Images
Francesco Molinari’s put himself in position to land his national title for a second time as he claimed a share of the first round lead along with Bernd Wiesberger at the 71° OPEN D'ITALIA Presented by DAMIANI.

Some brilliant approach play on the back nine saw the Italian register four birdies during an inward 32 – all from inside ten feet – as Molinari enhanced his claims for a Captain’s pick from Paul McGinley for next month’s Ryder Cup.

Wiesberger matched the Turin native’s 66 at Circolo Golf Torino, with both players producing bogey-free rounds.

Stephen Gallacher, the only player who can disrupt Europe’s automatic qualification places in the final event of the points race, opened with a level-par 72. The Scot needs a top-two finish in order to debut at Gleneagles.

Gallacher may be the only player who controls his Ryder Cup destiny, but it was Molinari who did most to boost his chances of making the European Team on the course where he started playing golf aged eight.

European Captain Paul McGinley admitted Molinari is "very much in my mind" for one of the three wild cards he will announce on Tuesday, with the man himself thinking he needs to win on Sunday to make a third consecutive appearance.

"I had a chat with Paul when he got here and I think the good thing is that he knows what I can bring to the team because he has seen me as vice-captain on the last two teams," said Molinari, whose halved match with Tiger Woods at Medinah in 2012 ensured Europe won outright for the seventh time in the last nine contests.

"But it's up to me to prove that I really want it and am playing well enough. I think anything less than a win would not be enough so I have to aim for that."

Gallacher headed straight to the range after a round featuring four birdies and four bogeys, the 39 year old Scot squandering a good start after almost holing his approach to his second hole of the day.

"I'm a bit disappointed because I threw away a couple of shots midway through my round, but it's okay for the first day and I am only one good score away from the top of the leaderboard," said Gallacher, who lives just 35 miles from Gleneagles.

"I know I have to finish first or second, that's not going to change, so I'm not putting any pressure on myself. Once you get out on the course you just try to birdie every hole. That's the easy part. It's when you finish you think about the Ryder Cup."

Wiesberger finished 15th in the US PGA Championship after playing in the last group in the final round alongside eventual winner Rory McIlroy.

The two-time European Tour winner was fourth in the Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles last year and also lost a five-man play-off in the same event in 2011, but said: "I think Stephen Gallacher should get a pick for the way he has played this year.

"Paul (McGinley) knows I play well at Gleneagles and I like the course, but I am pretty far down the list (23rd) and even if I win it would be a surprise to get that call on Tuesday," he said.

"The first three days at Valhalla gave me a lot of confidence knowing I could get into that position and be in the last group in a Major. I probably should have tried to make more of a move in the final round but I didn't drive the ball that well that day and couldn't really get it going.

"It was actually the first time I have had a really good performance in America as well so it was a big, big week for me and a pretty cool experience to be out so late on a Sunday in a Major."

Wiesberger and Molinari enjoyed a one shot lead over American John Hahn, Northern Ireland's Gareth Maybin, Scotland's Richie Ramsay, England's Richard Bland and South African Hennie Otto, with 17 year old Italian amateur Edoardo Lipparelli among a seven-strong group another shot back.

Scotland's Marc Warren, an outside chance for a wild card following his win in Denmark a fortnight ago, carded a three under par 69 to finish alongside fellow hopeful Joost Luiten.

No comments:

Post a Comment