9/26/2014

GMAC Victory Earns Dubuisson Plaudits

Getty Images
Graeme McDowell tipped Ryder Cup rookie Victor Dubuisson to become Europe's next superstar after partnering the Frenchman at Gleneagles.

The United States saw their own debutants Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed produce a brilliant display to beat Ian Poulter and Stephen Gallacher in the morning fourballs.

However, Dubuisson dovetailed well with McDowell in the more difficult foursomes as they beat Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley, who won three out of three together at Medinah two years ago, 3&2 to give Europe a 5-3 lead at the end of the first day.

"I've always been very fortunate in Ryder Cups to have pretty decent partners," said McDowell.

"Obviously I played with Rory (McIlroy) the last couple years - he turned out okay.

"I was very fortunate to be playing alongside a player who I think really is Europe's next superstar.

"He was awesome today. He didn't miss a shot. His iron play was just outstanding in really tough conditions."

Dubuisson, 24, is a quite, private individual but has embraced the team ethic of the Ryder Cup wholeheartedly.

"It was amazing, playing with Graeme," he said.

"Yesterday I was feeling a little nervous. This morning was a long wait for us to play - I think we teed off at 2.35pm - you wake up at 8am and you think about the afternoon all morning.

"But the fact that I spent a lot of time with Graeme these last few days has really helped me.

"When I was walking with him to the tee he was next to me and then the stress completely disappeared.

"I was only feeling positive. I was only feeling positive from the crowd and then I've been able to just play my game."

No comments:

Post a Comment