9/28/2014

McIlroy Celebrates Incredible Year

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy said Europe’s triumph in the Ryder Cup rounded off an excellent year for the world No 1 whose superb summer form included victories in The Open and PGA Championship.

Not for 37 years has anyone won two Majors and finished on the winning side in a Ryder Cup – all in the same season.

That player was American skipper Tom Watson and McIlroy is delighted with his work in recent months.

The 25-year-old said: "It's obviously a nice honour to have. It's the icing on the cake of what has been a very special summer for me.

“To win back-to-back Majors, The Open Championship and then the PGA, and then to be a part of this fantastic team led by a wonderful captain is fantastic.

"I couldn't have asked for the summer to end any better. I didn't know that it had not been done since 1977 but, you know, if it's not me in a couple years' time again, then I hope it's one of these guys (his team-mates) that gets two Majors and gets a Ryder Cup."

The Northern Irishman played in all five sessions earning three points, and he added: "I personally am just really proud of how I played.

"I was probably up for this match more than I was the final two rounds of the Majors I won this year.

"It just meant so much to be to be a part of this team and to win."

He also paid tribute to the European skipper Paul McGinley, saying: "He has just been the most wonderful captain and I can't speak highly enough of him.

"From the first day we got here, the speeches that he gave, the videos he showed us, the people that he got in to talk to us, the imagery in the team room, it all tied in together.

“All part of the plan, all for the cause of trying to win this Ryder Cup.

"He was meticulous in his planning. He left no stone unturned. I think I speak on behalf of all the 12 players up here and just say that he couldn't have done anything else. He was absolutely fantastic."



No comments:

Post a Comment