2/06/2015

Westwood Returns to Irish Open

Getty Images
Lee Westwood has confirmed he will return to the Irish Open this season after a six-year absence.

Westwood will be making his first professional appearance in Northern Ireland at the event, which is being hosted by the Rory Foundation - started by his Ryder Cup team-mate Rory McIlroy - at Royal County Down from May 28-31.

The Republic of Ireland has been a good hunting ground for the Englishman, who won back-to-back European Opens in 1999 and 2000 and was part of the Ryder Cup winning side - all three events at The K Club.

He joins a field full of world-class talent, with home favourites McIlroy, Graeme McDowell and Darren Clarke all signed up along with American star Rickie Fowler.

Westwood, who is defending his Malaysian Open title this week, told the European Tour website: “I’m really looking forward to playing. I’ve heard a lot about the golf course - County Down has that legendary status.

“I haven’t played in the Irish Open for a long time. It’s somewhere I’ve been successful and had a lot of support from the local fans. I’ve always seemed to get on very well with the Irish.

“I played the Amateur Championship in Northern Ireland – at Royal Portrush in 1993 – but this will be the first time I’ve played as a professional there.

“I can’t wait to go back and play the Irish Open. It’s a great tournament and I’m really excited that it’s back on my schedule for the first time since 2009.”

Also in the field will be defending champion Mikko Ilonen, who took the title in front of huge crowds at Fota Island last summer, and is looking forward to taking on one of the world's leading links courses.

“I played with Rory at Portrush three years ago and it was massive. The fans know and appreciate their golf and it’s an amazing place to play," the Finn said.

As an amateur, Ilonen won the West of Ireland Championship at Rosses Point, Co Sligo, in 1999 and he added: “Even before my Irish Open victory, I was recognised as the guy who won the ‘West’ and I couldn’t believe people could remember that from so long ago.

“I actually played Royal County Down in the Amateur Championship that same year, 12 months before I won it, and I can remember almost all of the holes and how good the greens were. It will be an amazing week with the Rory Foundation involved and so many good names in the field.”


No comments:

Post a Comment