5/27/2015

It's Good to be Back - GMAC

Getty Images
Graeme McDowell is delighted to be back playing in Northern Ireland as he prepares for this week’s Dubai Duty Free Irish Open Hosted by the Rory Foundation at Royal County Down.

Royal Portrush became the first course in Northern Ireland to host the Irish Open for 59 years in 2012, and has subsequently been added to The Open Championship roster of courses.

"It's great to be back here," McDowell said. "Obviously Portrush a few years ago (staging the Irish Open in front of record crowds) put Northern Ireland golf on the map from the point of view of what we are capable of and led to things like The Open Championship coming back to Portrush.

“There's something about this golf course that I love. I love the elevation changes. I love the bunkering. It's a much tougher golf course.

"This will be a really, really great showcase I think for golf and Ireland in general.

“I think everyone I've spoken to loves the golf course.

“Rory and his foundation and his team, for him to step up and do what he's done here, taking this event and putting his name to it, I have a huge appreciation for the level of responsibility that that takes. 

“The type of field that he's put together here, we haven't seen a field like this at The Irish Open for many years, since back in its heyday. 

“As an Irish player, we have been really driving hard to try and get sponsors and get a great spot on the schedule to try and bring the best players in the world to Ireland and showcase golf courses like Royal County Down and show people what we have here.

“This is really a huge step in the right direction from what we want The Irish Open to look like.” 

McDowell's sixth place last year was his first top-ten finish in 13 appearances, but the 35 year old believes a more relaxed approach can help to improve that record.

"A lot of that is down to wanting it too badly and wanting to perform for the home fans too much and maybe that expectation level has just been a little too high," McDowell admitted.

"It's been a quiet year and I would love to kick-start my summer off with a big week here. I've been working really hard on my game and I really feel like it's turning the corner."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment