5/25/2011

Harrington Disappointed to Miss BMW

Harrington at R&A clinic in Sunningdale

Padraig Harrington has spoken of his frustration at being forced out of this week's BMW PGA Championship through injury.

The Dubliner has been sidelined by a knee injury and admits he is "absolutely gutted" to miss the European Tour's flagship event at Wentworth.

Indeed, such is his disappointment that the 39-year-old has decided to spend this weekend at the Monaco Grand Prix rather than put himself through the agony of watching.

"It's so hard, especially when I was starting to feel good at the weekend," he stated.

"I was thinking I might have pulled out a bit early, but it's gone from acute pain to persistent niggling pain and it seems the physios know a thing or two."

"I've never been to a Grand Prix, but I can't sit at home watching another tournament and I'm basically going to have a week's holiday to get me away from the temptation of practising." 
Padraig HarringtonQuotes of the week

Harrington was at nearby Sunningdale on Tuesday in his role as a Royal and Ancient Club ambassador for a clinic with schoolchildren brought together by the Golf Foundation charity.

He also found time to attend the European Tour's awards dinner at a Heathrow hotel last night, but from there it was off to Monte Carlo rather than Wentworth.

"I've never been to a Grand Prix, but I can't sit at home watching another tournament and I'm basically going to have a week's holiday to get me away from the temptation of practising," he added.

Harrington expects to reacquaint himself with his clubs next week when he makes a trip to this year's Open Championship venue, Sandwich.

Meanwhile, his next tournament appearance will be in Memphis at the St Jude Classic on June 9th - 12th, a week before the US Open.


No comments:

Post a Comment