6/11/2013

McIlroy Merion Ironman Plan

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy believes his iron play at Merion this week could be the key to winning a second US Open title.

The world No 2 notched his first major success when he won the US Open at Congressional in 2011 and he has been encouraged by the recent rain in Pennsylvania with his iron play "dialled in".

McIlroy said: "I did not really enjoy Olympic last year. I much prefer this sort of golf when you hit a shot and it stays where you think it's going to stay.

"It's still pretty tight and when you hit it in the rough you are not going to make birdie from there.

"I expect the scores to be lower than usual in the US Open but I don't think you will see scores like Congressional.

"It's probably going to play into my hands a bit more and my iron play is dialled in. As long as I can put it in the fairway I can take advantage of it."

McIlroy has been paired with Tiger Woods and Masters champion Adam Scott in the opening two rounds as the USGA continued their tradition of putting the world's top three in the same group.

The 24-year-old, who won last year's US PGA Championship, said: "It's always nice to be part of a group like that.

"It's something I am excited about. I like it because there is a lot of buzz and atmosphere and it gets you focused from the first shot.

"The two majors I have won I was coming in without many expectations. In 2011 the US Open was just after the Masters (where he blew a four-shot lead with a closing 80) and last year I missed three cuts in a row before the US PGA.

"It's great to have my name on the US Open trophy and I would like to have it on there a few more times."



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment