3/23/2012

McGinley Withdraws from Hassan II


Paul McGinley has withdrawn from the Hassan II Trophy citing tiredness.

McGinley had competed in the two-day Tavistock Cup in Florida earlier this week and only arrived into Agadir late on the evening before the event.

But after arriving to the Moroccan course early on Friday and learning of the delay he advised officials he was struggling in sleeping and withdrew.

The Dubliner was seven over par at the time and left Agadir headed for Marrakech for a flight back to the UK. The next event is the Sicilian Open.

Having undergone treatment on his left knee in the off-season he has played in just two events,  missing the cut in Qatar and finishing 14th place in the Avantha Masters in India,

McGinley is still under the orders of his doctor - Dr. Andrew Unwin - to ‘stagger’ his new season.

“I didn’t have an operation but I did have some small procedures on it like draining fluid off it,” said McGinley earlier this year.

“It was just six weeks of total rest with no golf at all.

“I am disappointed every week I can’t play because I still have a real desire to play but I don’t want to go at it to hell for leather starting off and the advice I’ve been given is to have one week on and then one week off and so on.

“The doctor’s informed me it is a maintenance thing of easing myself back into competition full time. 

“Hopefully by the end of March or early April I will be able to play three to four in a row but I will still play 18 events this year.”

Fatiha Betscher (www.golfbytourmiss.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment