4/30/2012

Clarke Targets BMW PGA


Darren Clarke is eyeing victory at the BMW PGA Championship - 20 years after he first appeared at the tournament.

The reigning Open champion admits he would love to add the title at the European Tour's flagship event to his CV.

Clarke, who first appeared at Wentworth back in 1992, finishing 54th, said: "I think if you ask any player on the European Tour to pick one event outside the Majors that they'd want to win one day it would be the BMW PGA Championship and I am no exception.

"Obviously to do it on the 20th anniversary of my first playing in the tournament would be extra sweet but I'm under no illusions about the task in hand because the field is always one of the strongest of the entire year.

"I can't really believe it is 20 years since I played for the first time - time really does fly by when you are having fun. If I'm being honest though, I can't really remember much about my debut in 1992 but what I do remember was thinking that if I'd qualified to play at Wentworth, I really must have arrived on the European Tour."

Clarke has finished runner-up at Wentworth on two occasions - 1997 and 2000 - and he feels that shows that going one better remains a possibility.

The Northern Irishman added: "I have come close a couple of times and it is a course I feel I can compete on.

"I've always liked the golf course and it has always been demanding, but it is a really tough challenge nowadays after the changes Ernie (Els) made to it.

"In the past, on the odd occasion, you used to see people finish perhaps birdie, eagle, eagle to suddenly burst into contention, but with the changes that is a lot harder to do nowadays. It is a much tougher test than it used to be."

This year's tournament takes place from May 24-27.

Defending champion and world number one Luke Donald will appear, as will Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood.




No comments:

Post a Comment