5/28/2012

Clarke Out of Olympic Event


Open champion Darren Clarke will miss the US Open next month after being advised to rest a groin problem.

Clarke has also withdrawn from the NordeaMasters in Stockholm and will not play again until the Irish Open at his home course of Royal Portrush.

"I am extremely disappointed as Open champion that I am unable to play the US Open," said Clarke.

"I have to make sure I am 100% ready for the Open and to do that I have been advised not to play for a month."

Clarke was troubled by a groin strain during the Houston Open the week before the US Masters in early April, and felt it again at last week's BMW PGA Championship.

He took medical opinion and was advised to rest for four weeks or risk further damage.

"I haven't been able to get through the ball properly because of it and I don't want to take any chances," added Clarke.

Clarke has struggled for form since his Open victory at Sandwich and has failed to make the halfway cut this season.

The US Open will be staged at the Olympic Club on 14-17 June, with Clarke's compatriot Rory McIlroy the defending champion.

The Irish Open starts on 28 June while Clarke will bid to retain the Open title at Royal Lytham and St Annes on 19-22 July.

No comments:

Post a Comment