5/17/2012

Keegan Reflects on His Golfing Year



Keegan Bradley is now a respected major champion but this time last year he was battling to retain his US Tour card.

This week he is back where his dramatic rise all began, at the Byron Nelson Championship in Texas.

"I went from an unknown rookie trying to keep his card to winning a PGA Tour event and locking up my future a little bit," said the 25-year-old as he reflected on his play-off victory over Ryan Palmer at Las Colinas 12 months ago.

"This tournament might have set up my whole career. People don't realise what the stress level is of a rookie on the PGA Tour, trying to keep your card.

"I played on the Hooters Tour and thinking about going back is scary. And to know I was on the (PGA) tour for at least two-and-a-half more years was huge."

Bradley's career then took a monumental leap when, playing in his very first major, he captured the USPGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club.

"At the PGA I didn't have that pressure of having to win my first tournament or having to worry about making enough money to keep my card, stuff like that, where rookies have to think about that," said the 25-year-old.
Can't believe it

"Sometimes I will be sitting around and I will realise that I won the PGA and start laughing, by myself, like I can't believe it.

"It seriously happens all the time. I keep the trophy on my mantle(piece) in front of my TV in my room, and I'll just be watching TV and I'll look over at it and start laughing, because it seems so bizarre that's the trophy, it's in my room.

"Definitely sometimes I have to ask myself, 'Is this really real?'.

"But I've been wanting to do that my whole life, and it's cool to be living it. But I have so much further to go, and that's what I'm happy about. I want to be out here for a long time and be one of the best players, so I have a lot to work for."

Bradley's recent form hasn't been great but he's relishing the return to TPC Las Colinas.

"I go into it knowing that I love this course, it suits my eye well," he said. "I'm looking to win tournaments, so this is a great opportunity for me to contend this week."

One likely challenger is Matt Kuchar, coming off his victory at the Players Championship, golf's richest event, at Sawgrass on Sunday.

Kuchar, 33, shot up 11 places to fifth in the world rankings on Monday and has not discounted a charge to number one.

Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy holds the top spot ahead of England's Luke Donald and Lee Westwood, followed by Americans Bubba Watson and Kuchar.
Exciting time

"I think it's an exciting time in the game of golf right now in that there is the possibility to become that number one player in the world," Kuchar said.

"For a long time it seemed like Tiger Woods had a stronghold on the position and that number two was the thing you had to play for.

"Even if Tiger Woods took a year off, it seemed like he would still hold that position. So it's exciting to have movement at that number one shot, to have a shot at being the best.

"I think it's one of the things we all strive for, to be the best of the best, to actually be number one in the world would be an honour."

Kuchar heads out in a group with Vijay Singh and Padraig Harrington, while Bradley plays alongside Rory Sabbatini and Jason Day.

The world's top four are absent, as is Woods, but there is plenty of big-name appeal, not least in the group consisting of Phil Mickelson, Adam Scott and Ernie Els.


No comments:

Post a Comment