5/31/2012

McIlroy Plans to Play Golf


Rory McIlroy has explained his decision to play three tournaments in as many weeks ahead of the defence of his US Open crown.

Having missed the cut by at both Sawgrass and Wentworth in his last two outings, McIlroy is opted to cram his schedule with competitive golf rather than spend extra time in practice.

The world number two tees up at this week's Memorial Tournament before heading to Memphis for the FedEx St Jude Classic, with the US Open the following week in San Francisco.

"I just feel like I need some rounds," said McIlroy, who has been grouped with world number one Luke Donald for the first two rounds at Muirfield Village.

"These two-day weeks aren't really that good for me, so I just want to get some competitive rounds in.

"I'm working on a few things, and I feel trying to put them into competition will be the best way for me to prepare going into the US Open.

"When you've been on a run where you've hardly finished outside the top five and then all of a sudden two missed cuts, it's more of a shock than anything else.

"It's something I haven't really had to deal with in a while. I just have to knuckle down and figure it out and get back to the way I was at the start of the year."



No comments:

Post a Comment