8/29/2012

Padraig Rooting for Medinah Team

Getty Images
Padraig Harrington will be rooting for Europe's Ryder Cup side in Chicago next month.

Ireland's three-time major winner did not receive a wild card from captain Jose Maria Olazabal on Monday and so will not be part of the match for the first time since 1997.

"I've been aware of the Ryder Cup situation since the PGA Championship and I pretty much knew the outcome," Harrington said on his website.

"Ollie called me to let me know. The Ryder Cup is a team event and you should qualify by merit.

"I thoroughly believe the two picks (Ian Poulter and uncapped Belgian Nicolas Colsaerts) will deliver and do a good job.

"I will be watching and rooting for the team and I wish them well."

European Ryder Cup captain Jose Maria Olazabal denied that an old rift with Harrington affected the Irish player's chances of making the team.

Harrington questioned Olazabal about repairing pitch marks in the 2003 Seve Trophy in Spain, but the Spaniard dismissed suggestions the old spat will impact his two captain's picks for the matches next month at Medinah.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment