11/25/2012

Irish Hopes Hinge on Higgins

David Higgins
David Higgins shot the second best round of the day, albeit on the Tour course, on day two of European Tour final qualifying at PGA Catalunya, to maintain a real chance of earning his full playing rights for 2013 - after signing for a 64.

A round of six birdies without loss places the Waterville golfer in share of 7th on 5 under and just two shots off the lead, and the only Irish hope of a tour card heading into round three.
Twenty year old amateur Moritz Lampert showed many of the professionals how it is done with a hugely impressive five under par 67 in the second round of The European Tour Qualifying School Final Stage.

The German carded five birdies – four on the spin on the front nine – over PGA Catalunya Resort’s Stadium course, the tougher of the two layouts, to soar up the leaderboard to five under par overall.

He lies just two shots off the lead held by Estanislao Goya, and while he admits his first visit to the Qualifying School comes with little pressure as he has nothing to lose, he is keen to join compatriots Martin Kaymer, Marcel Siem and close friend Max Kieffer on The European Tour next season.

“I’ve been playing well, and I’ve just told myself to play well and see what happens,” said Lampert. “I don’t need to think about the cut or the top 25; I’m focusing on playing as well as I can and seeing where I end up at the end.

“I’ve played really well this year. I won the Portuguese Amateur and an event on the EPD Tour. I also won the German Amateur and the Finnish Amateur, and was third in the Eisenhower Trophy about six weeks ago. I’ve basically played in every amateur tournament you can get picked for.

“So I felt it’s time to turn pro and take my game to the next level. I will turn pro after this week, regardless of what happens.

“I met Martin Kaymer at the BMW International Open this year. He’s a good guy and an idol of mine. I look up to the way he plays and works. With Marcel Siem and Max Kieffer also on Tour, it would be great to be the fourth German next year.

“It wouldn’t be too bad if I don’t make The European Tour though, so my expectations are not that high. I think that makes a big difference in terms of pressure. I’m not standing on the tee thinking, ‘I have to keep my card’.”

Lampert played in the 2010 Junior Ryder Cup, coincidentally alongside playing partner Chris Lloyd, who battled back on day two with a three under par 69 to return to level par for the tournament.

Lampert added: “It was good to play the Stadium course in much better conditions than it was yesterday, when it was very windy. I’m happy with the result.

“It does play longer and it’s much tougher because it’s narrower off the tee and the greens are a lot more difficult.”

Chris Devlin is in a share of 66th place after rounds of 71 and 73.

Niall Kearney carded a 72 on Sunday, which added to the opening round of 73 leaves the Dubliner in 83rd place.

Peter O'Keeffe battle hard after his first round of 81 to sign for a 65 and push up to 100th place.

Simon Thornton is 111thplace after carding 71 and 75/

Gareth Shaw is further adrift following rounds of 81 and 73 to lie in 155th spot.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment