3/11/2013

Rory Rebounds with 65

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy signed for a 7-under par 65 at TPC Blue Monster at Doral, where he ended the week at the World Golf Championships-Cadillac Championship in eighth place.

"I was pretty down about my game coming into this week,," McIlroy said. "A day like today felt like a long way away if I'm honest."

Only a week ago, McIlroy had walked off the golf course in the middle of his second round at The Honda Classic, and left many open questions over his golf swing.

This week McIlroy answered the questions then let his clubs do the rest.

After breaking par for the first time this year earlier in the week, McIlroy opened on Sunday with an eagle on the par-5 first before adding five more birdies the rest of the day.

"A few days like I've played, it does my confidence a world of good," McIlroy said. "I probably wear my heart on my sleeve a bit with my golf. If I have a bad round, it's sort of like the end of the world, but if I play a good one, I'm happy again."

With the Masters five weeks away, McIlroy has reason to smile again.

Rory plays the Ernie Els' benefit event on Monday for the Els for Autism Foundation before spending next weekend with girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki in Miami. Next it is the Shell Houston Open before heading to Augusta the week before the tournament.

"I always think when I'm playing bad that it's further away than it is," McIlroy said of his play. "That's just where I have to stay patient and let whatever happens, happen, and know that if I put in the hard work, that the results will bear fruit; whether that's sooner or later, it doesn't really matter."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment