7/21/2013

Foster Suffers Major Golf Twist

Getty Images
Golf – and life – can be a savage master. In May last year Billy Foster had been Lee Westwood’s caddie for three years. But that month he snapped the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, playing football with his mates. He only went along to the game to watch, and refused to take part in the actual match for fear of any injury. But he was persuaded to join in the warm-up kickabout.

“I ran for a stray pass,” he says. “When I planted my foot it went in a bit of a hole and my knee went the other way. I thought I might be out two weeks, but it became a season-wrecker. I was distraught.”

Recovery went on for months, involving three operations, and every time he seemed near to a return, there was a setback. Westwood kept the position open for six months, but eventually with a complete heal nowhere nearer, had to engage another. And that was that. Foster understood but was devastated.

With recovery at last this summer, he carried the bag for Thomas Bjorn a couple of times, and came to Muirfield to caddy for the South African Branden Grace. Optimism was high as grace only just missed out at the Scottish Open last week, in the first extra hole play-off to Phil Mickelson.

“His game suits links golf but he’s had no luck and his putter has been cold,” says Foster ruefully, right after their final round 75 put them 13 over for the Championship. “It won’t be a permanent arrangement. I’m running round with different guys, biding my time. I just have to wait for the caddies’ merry-go-round to turn again.”

Above all, of course, he knows this is Westwood’s greatest chance yet to win a Major, going into the final round with a two-shot lead. And he knows it might have been him on Westwood’s bag for this greatest of all days.

“Oh yes, I want him to win, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t tinged with sadness, thinking about what might have been,” says Foster. “He’s a great player and a fantastic guy. Like everyone, I think he deserves it. His time has come. Yes, I’ve seen him here and we’ve spoken – the usual chitchat, nothing very deep. Of course I’ll send him congratulations if he wins.”

It was 12.40pm on Sunday as we spoke, with Westwood’s tee-off time still 90 minutes away. Would Foster be staying to watch his round?

“No,” he said. “I’m driving home. I won’t stay. It’s pulling on the heartstrings, a bit.”

Foster has also caddied for Darren Clarke and the legendary, but now absent, Severiano Ballesteros.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment