7/21/2013

Two Time Smurfit Champ in Major Chase

Getty Images
Lee Westwood, winner of Smurfit European Open in 1999 and 2000, believes he knows what it takes to win a maiden major title after claiming the lead heading into the final round of The Open.

Westwood, who carded an eagle and three birdies in a round of one-under 70 on Saturday, is two clear of American duo Tiger Woods and Hunter Mahan.

"I know what to expect tomorrow," said Westwood, who will partner Mahan in the final group. "I know what to do. I know what it takes. It's just a case of believing you are good enough to win.

"When you analyse it, you don't want to say it, but tomorrow is just another 18 holes. I'm playing well and putting well and there's no reason why I can't carry on.

"I have had lots of chances. I could have won four (majors) with the right things going my way. They are the things you feed off. You try to learn from the things you did wrong and put them into practice.

"I'll think about winning the Open Championship tonight at some stage, I'm sure. I don't see anything wrong with that - picture yourself holding the Claret Jug and seeing your name at the top of the leaderboard.

"But when it comes time to tee-off tomorrow I should be in the same frame of mind as I was today."

Westwood also held the 54-hole lead at the Masters in 2010 and shot a closing 71, only to be overhauled by Phil Mickelson's final round of 67.

"I thought I played nicely that day at Augusta, but Phil played great," he added. "Sometimes you play well and someone plays better."

Westwood has also come close to breaking his major duck in the Open, most agonisingly in 2009 when he three-putted the 72nd hole believing he needed a birdie, only to again fall short of a play-off - between Tom Watson and Stewart Cink - by a shot.

"I had a chance at Turnberry that I messed up a bit that I can fall back on, getting out of the zone and focusing too much on what other people are doing," Westwood added.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment