10/15/2013

Irish Adrift at EuroPro Final


Michael McGeady carded an opening round 69 at the 888Poker.com PGA Europo Tour Championship on Tuesday and showed no signs of fatigue from Roganstown on Sunday, where he emerged as Irish PGA Championship, in what was a close contest. 

A three under par round at the Prince's Club in Kent came without loss - after three birdies before the turn - on holes, 2, 4 and nine. His seven way share of 7th reflects a tight leaderboard after round one, with four strokes separating the group from the leader. 

At the end of each season the top five players on the Order of Merit progress to the Challenge Tour, meaning there is more than just the £15,000 winner’s cheque to play for this week.

Paul Grannell shot his best round of the season to lead by two strokes on seven under at the end of the first round. The 28 year old carded a 65 on the opening day of the final event of the 2013 season, and is trailed by four golfers who share second on five under.

Simon Lilly (Wellingborough), Zack Saltman (Archerfield Links Golf Club), William Harrold (Sheringham Golf Club) and Shaun McAllister (Craigielaw Golf Club) all shot 67 and Paul Shields (Kirkhill Golf Club) is one behind in sixth on -4.

Grannell (Vale Royal Abbey) hit eight birdies on Tuesday, with his only blemish a six on the par-five seventh.

“I like links golf, I have always had good success on links courses, as an amateur you play a lot of links golf,” he said.

“It equals my lowest ever tournament round of golf, and it is my lowest round of the year which is always nice to do, especially in the last tournament.

“I have had top 20s in my last three tournaments and two of those going down the closing holes I have been in contention. If I can carry on the form I have been showing then I would like to think I will have a chance.”

Grannell is currently 22nd on the 888poker.com PGA EuroPro Tour Order of Merit and only a win at Prince’s will push him into the all-important top five.

“I am not thinking of any kind of result,” he said. “I am thinking purely of what I have been working on with my coaches. I didn’t know that other guys were at five under until I finished.

“I will do my best to avoid leaderboards for the rest of the week but it is difficult when you walk past them.”

At the end of each season the top five players on the Order of Merit progress to the Challenge Tour, meaning there is more than just the £15,000 winner’s cheque to play for this week.

George Woolgar (level, T31) leads the Tour rankings, with Daniel Gavins (-2, T14), Oliver Farr (-1, T22), Dave Coupland (level, T31) and Paul McKechnie (-3, T7) completing the current top five. Only Woolgar and Gavins have already secured their playing rights for next season’s Challenge Tour.

Time Rice signed for 70 and holds a share of fourteenth place overnight.

Ruaidhri McGee was three strokes further adrift after a mixed first day.

Colm  Moriarty carded a 73, despite an eagle three on the par 6 fifteenth hole, to lie 40th along with Paul Cutler - who ended level par after giving back all four birdies to bogeys either side of the turn.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment