10/19/2013

Talk Through the Round - McIlroy

OneAsia
Q: Frustrating day? Talk us through your round
A: It was weird. I actually started the round really well -- I gave myself birdie chances on the first five holes, but missed a few of those. I picked one up at five, but gave it straight back with a three putt, and from there it was a bit of a struggle really. I didn't birdie the par-five eighth so turned at even -- which wasn't so bad -- but then got on a bad little run on the back nine. I double-bogeyed 10, bogey 11, bogey 13 and couldn't really get it back after that. I just think the story of the day is that I missed a lot of putts, missed a lot of chances for birdies at the start of the round and then mixed a few short ones for pars in the middle and end of the round. That's really what it was. So yeah, a frustrating day because I was in contention after two days and if you shoot a solid score today you're right in there tomorrow. I've just got to go out there tomorrow and shoot the best score that I can.

Q: Are you out of it?
A: It depends. Last time here I shot 64 last round so it would need something probably similar or a little better to have a chance so that's what I'll try and do tomorrow.

Q: You say the putting let you down. What is it, are you just not reading them well or hitting them wrong?
A: It's a struggle, especially where they've put some of the pin positions. It's tough to get yourself to commit to a certain line because you'll hit a few and they'll go through the break, and some turn more than others. It's just tough to commit to the line you choose.

Q: Some people have said this was a good tournament for you to get your confidence back. How's that going?
A: I wanted to come here and play, it's nothing about trying to build confidence or anything like that. I just wanted to come and play and it's a nice little run that I'm on -- a few weeks in Asia -- and it's nice to start here. I guess more than anything else I wanted to shake the rust off this week and try and get into contention -- and obviously try to win. It would be nice to shoot a good one tomorrow and get a bit of confidence from that going into the next couple of weeks in China.

OneAsia

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment