11/06/2013

Gonzo Joins Euro Exodus

Getty Images
GonzaloFernández-Castaño is not just bringing his game to the United States. Like other Europeans who are taking up PGA TOUR membership, he's bringing the whole family. He is moving in December from Madrid to Miami with his wife and three young children.

The 33-year-old Spaniard chose Miami mainly because his swing coach, Mariano Bartolome, lives there and works out of Doral. 

But what makes Fernández-Castaño stand out from other Europeans moving to Florida is that golf was not at the top of his priority list.

"It's a very Spanish place and a city I like a lot," Fernández-Castaño said. "There's a lot of Spanish people. It's a city I've always enjoyed, and also you've got a lot of direct flights to Madrid. So it will easy for my family, my in-laws, anyone who wants to come visit."

He has found a school near their new home in Key Biscayne. Still to be determined is a golf course to practice. He has heard about Crandon Park, not far from where he will live, though he has yet to see it.

"I have to say, when I chose Miami, I wasn't thinking so much about the golf itself. I was thinking more about the family," he said. "In Florida, there are golf courses everywhere. There are a lot of choices. But I wasn't thinking about the golf."

His family - children 4, 3 and 1 - are excited about the move.

"The only time they have been to the U.S. was last year after Bay Hill," he said. "They came and we went to Disney World. They believe they're going to be living with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and Pluto."


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment