1/16/2014

Rory McIlroy in Solid State

Getty Images
Rory McIlroy failed to drop a shot during his opening round at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship, and at 2-under 70 he sits among a large tie for 19th, three shots off the lead with three rounds to play.

McIlroy joins Damien McGrane who also sgned for roudn sof 70..

"I played well, I was very happy with how I struck the ball from tee to green," noted McIlroy, who reached 15 of 18 greens in regulation Thursday. "I felt like I drove the ball really well, which you need to do around here because the rough is so thick."

McIlroy's opening effort is a far cry from his 2013 performance, when his first start as a member of the Nike stable ended abruptly after consecutive rounds of 75. 

Playing partner Phil Mickelson struggled Thursday, failing to make a single birdie in his opening round, McIlroy seemed eager to continue the momentum he garnered with his Australian Open win last month.

"I was hitting it long, and hitting it straight. I just didn't really take advantage of some of the opportunities I gave myself," he added. "It was definitely a round that could have been a little better, but no bogeys, it was a solid start."

Michael Hoey finished one better on Thursday after a three under par round of 69.

Simon Thornton and Padraig Harrington are a stroke behind McIlroy.

Kevin Phelan, European Tour Rookie finished the forst round level par.

Peter Lawrie and Gareth Maybin are one shot inside the projected cut on +1.

Darren Clarke remains two over with Shane Lowry two further adrift after a round of 76.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment