3/07/2014

GMAC Hunts Mahan at Doral

Getty Images
Graeme McDowell finished round stalking leader Hunter Mahan as the new-look Blue Monster bore its teeth on day two of the WGC-Cadillac Championship.

After the first day was interrupted by strong winds and a tornado threat, the field were having to deal with more swirling gusts leaving only a handful of players under par.

US Ryder Cup player Mahan was one under through eight holes of his second round and four under for the week – one ahead of compatriots Dustin Johnson and Patrick Reed, the first round leader after completing a four under par 68.

There was then a two shot gap back to a four-man group that included Francesco Molinari and McDowell.

The Italian had started the day in a share of the lead at three under, but despite clinging to that score for the remainder of round one, a double bogey at the third in round two hampered the former WGC-HSBC Champions winner’s progress.

McDowell was two under for his second round with five holes remaining.

Molinari bogeyed the seventh and McDowell the sixth on the way in, but by reaching the halfway stage in level par both were just one off Reed’s clubhouse lead, with Johnson two under for the week with three holes to play.

“Every shot, doesn't matter if it's downwind or into the wind, it's just a really hard guess, and there's water all over the place,” said Molinari.

“I'm glad it's over for me today and I get a rest before going out tomorrow.

“I actually feel pretty good but it is tiring mentally out there. There's always a hazard in play almost on every hole, and you can't miss the fairway, you can't miss the green. 

“At some points it was almost three clubs of wind. It was definitely more difficult than yesterday.

“I think I hit a couple of loose tee shots that I didn't hit yesterday, so a couple of penalty shots. But, you know, it's really, really hard out there, so I'm pretty happy the way I played.” 

McDowell was amongst a handful of players not to lose a ball in the water during his round, and said: “I kept it dry. I made one bogey in the second round and I probably should have got that ball up and down as well. 

“One bogey in those conditions, on this tough a golf course - I'm very, very happy to be off the golf course.”


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment