3/07/2014

El Mecanico Congratulates Smyth


Miguel Angel Jiménez was the first man to welcome Des Smyth as his Vice-Captain for the inaugural EurAsia Cup presented by DRB–HICOM.

Smyth was revealed as one of Paul McGinely’s Ryder Cup Vice-Captains for the biennial clash with the USA in September at a media conference in Dublin this morning, where it was also announced that Smyth will be Jiménez’s right-hand man in Malaysia when Europe travel to the Glenmarie Golf and Country Club to face Asia in the inaugural EurAsia Cup from March 27-29.

Jiménez will act as playing Captain of the ten-man European team, meaning Smyth’s experience as a two-time Ryder Cup player (1979 and 1981) and Vice-Captain (2006) will be vital as the Irishman assumes a leading role behind the scenes in Malaysia.

“I am delighted to welcome Des to the team for the EurAsia Cup presented by DRB–HICOM,” said Jiménez. “Des is a man with a lot of experience and someone I know I can trust so he will be a great Vice-Captain.

Paul McGinley and I have spoken a lot about the EurAsia Cup team and how important an event it is in terms of The Ryder Cup. A lot of the guys on my team could be playing for Paul in September so the EurAsia Cup is a great opportunity for Des to reacquaint himself with the experienced players and integrate with the younger guys.”

Smyth is relishing the opportunity to be part of the inaugural EurAsia Cup with Jiménez and the nine other members of Team Europe - Thomas Björn, Jamie Donaldson, Victor Dubuisson, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castaño, Stephen Gallacher, Pablo Larrazábal, Joost Luiten, Graeme McDowell and Thorbjørn Olesen.

He said: “I am very much looking forward to working with Miguel and the European players at the EurAsia Cup. I already know a lot of the players such as Graeme, Thomas, Gonzalo and Stephen and I am looking forward to getting to know the rest of the guys.

“I feel I can bring a lot of experience to the role of Vice-Captain and I will be there to support Miguel and hopefully offer some good advice when required. I am thrilled to have been asked to be a Vice-Captain for both The Ryder Cup and the EurAsia Cup and I’m looking forward to getting started in Malaysia in a couple of weeks.”

The announcement of Smyth as Vice-Captain to Jiménez means the teams for the EurAsia Cup presented by DRB–HICOM are now complete after Asian Captain Thongchai Jaidee announced Boonchu Ruangkit as his Vice-Captain earlier today.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment