6/19/2014

Paul Makes Casey for Title Defence

Getty Images
Paul Casey returns to defend his Irish Open title, which he won in such dramatic circumstances last year.

The tournament is a hugely popular event among fans and players alike, and Casey’s three stroke victory last year, courtesy of a spectacular 45-foot eagle putt at the last, has given the Englishman even more motivation this time round.

“I always defend a title,” he said. “I won in Korea and I went back to Korea. If I won in Timbuktu, I'd go back to Timbuktu. I never get tired of defending. It’s exciting to me and this is an important championship. The Irish Open is one of the biggest titles I've won. It meant a lot winning it last year. “

The tournament will be held at Fota Island Resort in Co. Cork for the first time since 2002 this year – and there will be no shortage of stars on show vying to emulate Casey.

The home fans will have plenty to cheer about with Rory McIlroy, Graeme McDowell and Padraig Harrington all featuring in this year’s world class field.

McIlroy’s form means he is almost guaranteed a place in Irishman Paul McGinley’s Ryder Cup European team at Gleneagles Hotel in September, however Casey knows he must find his very best form soon if he is to feature.

“I need to play some stellar stuff,” he said. “I need to win at least one big one or a couple of others by the cut-off. I think it's plain and simple. And even that doesn't guarantee anything, but at least that might get me into consideration.”

The Arizona-based player has shown glimpses of the magic touch that saw him climb to third place in the Official World Golf Ranking back in 2009.

A second round 63 at the Byron Nelson Championship on the US PGA Tour last month showed the 36 year old might not be too far away from returning to his best form.

Casey is hoping to have some generous support from the Irish galleries this week, thanks to his Irish roots.

“Casey is a Cork name,” he said. “One of my cousins who lives in the States has done a whole bunch of research on all our ancestors so I will try this week to find out more. It was my great grandfather who was over here, and I think my grandfather on my dad's side moved to South Africa. So it's pretty close - I'll try and find out more.” 

Casey’s exploits last year at Carton House Golf Club endeared him to many Irish fans. Another triumph this week would reinforce that bond and put Casey well and truly back in the spotlight.


No comments:

Post a Comment