8/30/2014

Galbraith Earns Galgorm Weekend

European Tour
John Ross Galbraith recently etched his name alongside the likes of Rory McIlroy, Padraig Harrington, Darren Clarke and Graeme McDowell when he won the Irish Amateur Close Championship and he made an instant impression on the professional scene, making the cut at the Northern Ireland Open Challenge in association with Maui Jim Sunglasses.

The 20 year old Northern Irishman beat amateur veteran Pat Murray in the final of one of Ireland’s most prestigious amateur events at Seapoint Golf Club in June to join several of Irish golf’s Major winners, as well as players such as Paul McGinley, Shane Lowry and Ronan Rafferty, on the star-studded list of winners.

Galbraith is playing in his first professional event at Galgorm Castle, having been nominated by the Golfing Union of Ireland Ulster Branch as one of four of the region’s most promising amateurs, and he did not disappoint.

The Whitehead Golf Club player carded five birdies to sign for a one over par second round of 72 and finish the second day on level par overall, making the grade for the weekend in the process, and the promising young player was thrilled.

“I’m delighted,” said Galbraith. “My target was just to make the cut. I've been hitting the ball well, pretty straight, but I haven’t been putting great, just one now and again. But my game is in good shape so hopefully I can get the flat stick going and shoot a few low ones.

“It’s my first time playing a professional event so it’s always going to be different to an amateur event but the experience has been good so far, I've enjoyed every minute of it. I had a big crowd from Whitehead cheering me on so that always helps. 

“The wind is horrendous out there, the trickiest is the cross wind, because you need to start the ball 20 or 30 yards left or right to get it into the middle of the fairway. Even in the downwind holes it’s hard to get the distance right so it’s tricky all around.

“I can just relax now and whatever happens happens, whether I shoot millions over or millions under, it’ll happen.

“I was delighted to get picked by the Ulster Branch for this event, to be classed as the top four in Ulster is good for and I thank them for picking me because it’s great experience for me.

“The standard is unbelievable out here but it’s nothing I didn’t expect to be honest. I feel I could compete pretty well out here.”



No comments:

Post a Comment