8/02/2014

GMAC Makes Ryder Cup Move

Getty Images
Graeme McDowell enjoyed moving day at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational after a third round 66 at Firestone Country Club.

Six birdies and a couple of dropped shots coming home saw the Northern Irishman climb up the board on Saturday as he continues to build momentum ahead of next week’s US PGA Championship, where a big performance could see him earn his place on the European Ryder Cup team.

His best finish in Akron is a tie for 22nd, which came in 2010, and as a result McDowell had considered not playing in Ohio. However his tenth place on the World Points List, some two spots behind Luke Donald – the last man on the team – forced the Alstom Open de France winner’s hand.

He continues to be pleased with how his game is taking shape though, at this important part in the season, and he is now reaping the rewards of a more Spartan early season schedule as he and his wife await the birth of their first child.

“The game has slowly improved over the last couple of months,” said McDowell. “I'm at that point now where I'm starting to believe that I can hit the shots to win any given week if I put it all together. I'm in a good place mentally and physically and looking forward to the PGA Championship next week and beyond.

“I stuck to my guns and played light in the spring, but pulling out of Wentworth was a tough decision in my schedule this year. It's paying off now though, and The European Tour were great with me.

“They understood where I was coming from as I wanted to spend some time with my family before I played this heavy part of the schedule, with my wife at home not being able to travel. I’ve paced myself well, and thankfully it's paying off now.”

In the midst of such a busy period McDowell is starting to look like the player known for stepping up to the big occasion, and there are few larger than The Ryder Cup, which has loomed large over all of the European players since the qualification process got under way last year in Wales.

Regardless of his upturn in form though, the Ulsterman knows he cannot guarantee he will be one of Paul McGinley’s three captain’s picks, so it is essential that he takes advantage of the few playing opportunities available to him as the race to Gleneagles builds to a climax.

He tries not to think about it too much, but there is no doubt that European fans would love to see him represent their continent come September.

“It's something that ticks along in the background for me,” said the World Number 17. “It's something I'm very much looking forward to, and to play my fourth Ryder Cup would be a huge honour. I have come into good form this summer, so hopefully Captain McGinley is watching and feels I can be an instrumental part of the Ryder Cup team.

“I'm getting to the veteran stage now, and I feel like I can definitely be a decent sort of leader for the young guys on the team. I'd like to play my way on out of my own merit as opposed to waiting for a pick, so that's what I'm focused on the next few weeks.”


No comments:

Post a Comment