8/28/2014

Smyth's Woburn Feeling

Getty Images
Des Smyth is hoping to feed off the good vibes he has at Woburn Golf Club as he looks to kick-start his 2014 European Senior Tour season at the Travis Perkins Masters. 

The Irishman, who will be one of Paul McGinley’s Vice-Captains at next month’s Ryder Cup, is a two-time winner of the tournament, and he will be aiming to continue his sequence of triumphing in Ryder Cup years, after claiming the title in 2010 and 2012. 

It has been a slow start to the current campaign for Smyth, whose only top ten finish came a fortnight ago at the SSE Scottish Senior Open. 

But he believes a return to the picturesque Duke’s Course at Woburn could be just the catalyst he needs to get his game back on track. 

“I’ve had two wins here and it is a place I’ve always liked coming to,” said the 61 year old. “I played poorly last year, but my form had gone off by that stage. I’m searching for a bit of form again this year. I’ve had no performances worth talking about so far. I’ve had one top ten in Scotland when I had a chance to do better but messed up at the end, so I’m hoping I can get going this week and get some good vibes from this place.

“I’ve been working on a few things recently. I’m always experimenting when things aren’t working and I need tournaments to find my form. The back nine last week (at the English Senior Open) I was trying something which felt really good. Now, I’ve no idea if it is going to work this week, but I have a clear picture of what I’m going to try and hopefully this is a good week for me. 

“Coming back to a course where you have done well before always helps. This is a good driver’s course too, and that is my strength. I’m a straight driver, but on some courses you don’t get the reward for it. On this course you do. If my driving holds up, which it normally does, and if I get something going with my irons, which I think I have, then it might be a good week.”

The Travis Perkins Masters always attracts one of the biggest crowds of the Senior Tour season, and Smyth hopes that can also help inspire him to a good performance this week as he tries to regain the title, after watching Colin Montgomerie succeed him as champion 12 months ago. 

“This is our best tournament outside the Senior Open,” he said. “We get over 20,000 people here and you get all the best players. It’s great having Monty back defending his title and it is great to see Eduardo Romero playing here as well. There is a good atmosphere and it is a great tournament, so I hope it has the right effect on me.”


No comments:

Post a Comment