10/01/2014

McGinley Returns to Course at Dunhill

Getty Images
Paul McGinley is keeping his expectations low as he prepares to resume his playing career at this week's Alfred Dunhill Links Championship.

The 47-year-old is still basking in the glory of guiding Europe to a third successive Ryder Cup victory at the weekend, with McGinley earning worldwide plaudits for his decision-making and attention to detail.

The Irishman has limited his playing schedule since being appointed captain in January last year, and he has played only one competitive tournament since July after suffering a shoulder injury.

But McGinley is looking forward to teeing up in the pro-am event over the Old Course at St Andrews, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns, although he has no idea what state his game is in.

"I'm not tired and I don't feel like I want to pull away," McGinley said after Europe's five-point win over the United States on Sunday. "I think it's been great. I've really enjoyed the ride the last 18 months. It's been an absolute thrill and privilege and an honour.

"The Dunhill is a tournament I've always enjoyed playing, I love playing on those golf courses. God knows where my golf game is. I feel like there's been no work gone into my golf game the last six months.

"Everything the previous captains have told me about your golf game struggling has been proved correct. The first year was not so bad. I played quite well last year to be honest. This year it's really tailed off.

"When I've been on the golf course and on the practice ground, my mind has been drifting. It's not been there and I've not had the intensity and concentration you need to practice and play."

World No 1 Rory McIlroy, US Open champion and 2010 winner Martin Kaymer, France's Victor Dubuisson and 2004 winner Stephen Gallacher are the other members of Europe's winning team teeing up this week

Vice-captain Padraig Harrington, who won the event in 2002 is also competing, as is last year's winner David Howell, who beat American Peter Uihlein on the second hole of a play-off.

"It will be lovely to come back as defending champion. It's a real privilege and I shall enjoy every moment of it," Howell said. "The win last year was a long time coming, seven years after my previous win and I could not have wished for a better place to do it than St Andrews."


No comments:

Post a Comment