10/30/2014

Shaw Enjoys Day in Oman

Phil Inglis 
Gareth Shaw celebrated his 29th birthday in style at the National Bank of Oman Golf Classic as the Northern Irishman carded a four under par opening round 68 to move to within touching distance of the lead and boost his chances of a maiden European Challenge Tour title.

The Belfast-born player, who currently lies in 92nd position in the Rankings, needs a big result this week if he is to play his way into the field for next week’s season-ending Dubai Festival City Challenge Tour Grand Final hosted by Al Badia Golf Club.

Only the top 45 at the conclusion of this week’s third event of the Challenge Tour’s four-week ‘Final Swing’ make it to the spectacular finale but a good result this week would at least secure full playing privileges on the second tier for next season.

He was delighted with his timely return to form and believes it was down to just enjoying his birthday out on the beautiful Almouj Golf, The Wave course with two affable playing partners.

“It was just really solid,” said Shaw. “I hit 16 greens in regulation, had a couple of good up and downs. The most important part of my round was probably the par four sixth hole, where I held a ten footer for par. Then I birdied the next, so that kind of kept me going and kept me in the round.

“I hit a couple of shots close on the back nine whereas on the front nine I was hitting it pretty far from the hole, but I’m happy with that start.

“I’m just trying to enjoy it a bit more. I haven’t been enjoying my golf at all recently, mainly because I’m not hitting it how I would like to be. I had a good three-ball today with Lloyd Kennedy and young amateur Haydn McCullen so it was a really enjoyable round.

“I don’t really know about my permutations for keeping my Challenge Tour card but I just want to play a bit of golf, pick a few targets and see how it all goes. I got off to a good start and I’m really happy with that. My putting feels good and I like the course, it sets up well.

“It’s a beautiful place. The course is fantastic, along the seaside, so I’m looking forward to tomorrow, playing with the lads and something similar in terms of my score would be very nice.

“It’s not a bad way to spend your birthday on such a nice course, in this weather and at such a good tournament.”



No comments:

Post a Comment