10/02/2014

Smyth Back on Course in France

Getty Images
Des Smyth is looking forward to getting back to his day job when he tees up in this week’s French Riviera Masters at Terre Blanche Hotel Spa Golf Resort in Provence.

Irishman Smyth spent last week working as part of Paul McGinley’s backroom staff at the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles but is raring to get back to European Senior Tour action on a course where he finished tied fifth behind England’s David J Russell two years ago.

“The Ryder Cup was a wonderful experience and a something I would not have missed for the world,” said the five-time Senior Tour champion.

“I’d say it was probably my last foray into the big time and I could not have spent it with a nicer group of people. They were all so professional and determined to get the job done. It was a pleasure to work with them and is something I will never forget

“You might find this quite amusing when I say this, but you’re so busy running around the whole week turns into a bit of a blur. I was very tired by the time the celebrations started on Sunday night, but I was sensible enough to bail out about 2.00 am. I’m getting too old for really late nights so maybe that’s why I’m feeling relaxed and ready to go.”

Smyth arrives in the south of France fresh from a tie for third at the Russian Open Golf Championship (Senior) and a share of 16th place at the WINSTONgolf Senior Open in Germany.

“I was playing well before the Ryder Cup and have been looking forward to coming back here.

“It’s a challenging course. There are a lot of trees. If the wind blows it’s a bit like Wentworth. The wind funnels up and down so you’re never quite sure where it’s coming from.”

“I haven’t hand a club in my hands since Sunday week but I played the last two tournaments well and I’m confident I can keep my run going.”

Another player who is looking forward to the third French Riviera Masters to be played in successive years at Terre Blanche is Australia’s Peter Fowler, who 12 months ago overturned Andrew Oldcorn’s four shot lead to finish three strokes clear of the Scot and Spaniard Santiago Luna. 

“I have a lot of warm memories of Terre Blanche and it’s a course that suits my eye.”

“I have stayed on site for the last couple of years and it’s a great place to. They’ve got a big pool and that’s good for loosening me up in the mornings. By the time I get to the range my body is feeling pretty good and it’s not every week I can say that. 

“You always feel comfortable on certain courses and this is one of those for me. It’s not easy but it certainly rewards good golf.”

This week’s tournament has attracted a strong field that includes former Ryder Cup Captains Mark James and Ian Woosnam, as well as ex-Ryder Cup players Gordon Brand, Gordon Brand Jnr, Antonio Garrido, Manuel Pinero, Barry Lane, Ronan Rafferty and Philip Walton.

There is also a strong French contingent comprising Marc Farry, Jean-Francois Remesy, Roger Sabarros, Francois Illouz and Jean Pierre Sallat.

“It’s always nice to play at home and particularly when the weather is as good as this,” said Farry. “It’s a fantastic venue and seems to get better every year we play.

“It’s a nice mixture of the best European and US style courses. You have to do everything well here. You have to drive well and putt well. The greens are very undulating and I think they are quicker than they have been in the past. It’s a demanding course but it’s also a very good test of golf.”

Terre Blanche is a European Tour Destination and part of the European Tour Properties portfolio. The resort was the first to be afforded European Tour Performance Institute status. 


No comments:

Post a Comment