8/07/2015

Lowry Firestone Putts Costly

Getty Images
Shane Lowry let slip valuable strokes in the closing two holes on the opening day of the WGC–Bridgestone Invitational in Akron, Ohio.

Lowry was just a shot from the lead heading to his 17th before ending three shots behind clubhouse leader Rickie Fowler who carded a three-under-par 67 and less than a week after grabbing second place in last week’s Quicken Loans Open.

The Claraman was on the practice putting green despite recording a respectable 29 putts in his ninth round of the Firestone Country Club layout.

“I actually made the course look easy today and apart from the last hole, I hit the ball the best I’ve hit it for a long while,” said Lowry.

“So I am actually quite disappointed with that score as I also putted poorly and I will work on that aspect of my game this afternoon.

“I know that if I can get my putting sorted out I can do something really well these next two weeks.

“I haven’t dabbled in changing putters, so I am just sticking with the same one but in saying that it’s always about seeing the ball going in the hole.

“The sad thing out there today was that I was sand wedges into several of the holes, a lob-wedge into 11, a 9-iron into 13, a sand iron into 14, 16 and 17, and also the last so I am giving myself so many chances.”

“So while level I guess it’s a good score, if someone was to go out there and shoot five under then that would be a great score.”


No comments:

Post a Comment