8/07/2015

Ryder rather than Rio - GMAC


Graeme McDowell says making the Irish Olympic team for Rio next year is well down on his list of priorities.

GMAC is more focused on putting himself into contention for a place on Darren Clarke's Ryder Cup team and going to France to participate in the French Open, a tournament that has served him well in the past.

While McDowell says the calendar for next year is "a mess", he has clearly stated where his priorities lie and championed Padraig Harrington and Shane Lowry to represent Ireland.

"Where will I be? I'll probably be in France, and I'm okay to sort of admit that. I'd like to have the option, like I say, but France has been very good to me, and that's probably where I'll have to be," McDowell told in an interview with Irishgolfdesk.com.

"It's going to be difficult because Shane is obviously a fantastic player. Padraig has obviously shown some big signs as well.

"I'll be more interested in making the Ryder Cup team, to be honest with you, come that point in the season. That's always my focus. I think the Olympics are so hard to quantify.

"I'm not going to get myself into a race with Shane or Padraig. I'm just not going to get into a race with them. I'm going to be trying to take care of my own business and get myself on a Ryder Cup team and have a big 2016.

"If the Olympics gets in the way, great. I'm not going to get myself in a head-to-head battle with these guys. There's no point. I can only control my golf ball. Of course I'd love to be there, let's be honest."


No comments:

Post a Comment